I bought this dark red wool blend crêpe at a fabric sale in Milan some weeks ago. I wanted to make a dress, but I didn’t know what to sew. I came across this nice mini-dress in an old issue of La Mia boutique, an Italian sewing magazine, and I right away thought it would have been perfect for this dark red fabric.
The pattern I used is ABITO 09, designed by Veronica Bettini Mood for La Mia Boutique, Issue 06 (June 2016). The dress has a relaxed silhouette, three quarter sleeves and a low back neckline with crossed loops (simple but striking…I fell in love at first sight!).
It is marked as an “easy” project to sew and I have to say that it’s very easy and fun to sew indeed. The magazine instructions suggest using some crisp fabrics (such as taffeta, shantung, grosgrain, etc), but I don’t like these kind of fabrics very much and I thought this pattern would have been right with a more fluid fabric also, such as this wool crepe. I like the result very much indeed!
I chose my size, 42 (Italian size), and I traced the pattern. I added seam allowances to my paper pattern (1 cm everywhere, 4 cm on sleeve and dress hems instead of 2 cm as suggested in the instructions). Then I cut the fabric. Being the crêpe a fabric that easily frays, I finished every edge with my serger, to prevent them from fraying, before starting to sew the dress. If you haven’t got a serger you can use a thin stripe of a very light fusible interfacing on the edge (es. a cotton batiste or knit fusible interfacing), outside the sewing line.
I basted the dress to check if the fit was right for my body. I modified only these few things:
- I lengthened the darts (I pinned the new dart apex I wanted while I was wearing the dress to test it).
- I shortened the sleeve hem by 4 cm.
- I sewed the sides of the dress and the shorter seam of the sleeve using a 1,5 cm seam allowance instead of 1 cm, to tighten the dress.
- I had to make the loops higher/thicker because my fabric was very thick and I didn’t manage to turn the tubes of fabric right side out.
Then I sewed the dress up. I reinforced facings with a light cotton batiste fusible interfacing in order to not stiffen the fabric too much. And I sewed a knit stay tape on the neckline (front and back), as usual, to stabilise the seam and to prevent it from stretching.
In the end I pressed and hemmed the dress and the sleeves.
As I said earlier, I like this dress a lot! A red dress was lacking in my wardrobe and I’m happy to have sewed it on my own. I think it’s gonna be one of my favourite dresses over this season. It’s perfect for both day (wearing a top underneath if you feel the cold) and night! And I love this pattern so much that I want to make a black version of this dress soon.
Davvero molto bello! La stoffa e il colore che hai scelto sono fantastici. Le scollatura davanti e dietro mi piacciono da morire…ora mi fai venir voglia di usare quel cartamodello per una blusa!
Grazie Silvia! Anche come blusa sarebbe molto carino! Sono curiosa di vedere la tua versione 🙂
Such a gorgeous dress Martina! I love a red short dress so you’re ticking all my favourites! Love ❤️
Thank you Juls! <3 I've worn it a lot over these weeks! Love it
everything about this is perfect, the fabric, the color, the fit. You look fantastic I love it.
Thank you so much Beth!! I love how it came out! I’ve worn it a lot over these weeks!
So elegant! Love it!
Bellissimo! il colore è … wow